Sinus infections are often due to an inflammation in the nasal passages. This may cause severe discomfort to the sufferer and some of the most common sinus problems symptoms include eye and head pressure, headache, pressures in the nose and cheeks and jaw pain. When suffering from sinus infection, you may also experience having cough and nasal congestion. Aside from these, your eyes may become watery and so is your nose. With all these discomforting symptoms, you may want to seek immediate relief for getting rid of your sinus headache.
Treating sinus infection should not come as a hard task if you are aware of the home remedies available for you and if you know exactly how to handle it. Here are some of the most common remedies that you may find helpful when suffering from sinus infection or sinusitis:
- Upon seeing the symptoms of an infection, make sure to start consuming lots of fruits and vegetables to restore vitamin C in the body. This often includes oranges, limes and lemons which are great sources of this vitamin. These can also help you manage the infection due to its natural antioxidant properties.
- Perform nasal irrigation using salt water to eliminate congestion. Irrigation can help clear your nasal passages and stop any further discomforts.
- Steam bath is also recommended for those suffering from sinusitis. This can also help relieve congestion, especially when few drops of essential oil, such as eucalyptus or peppermint, are added into the bath.
- You may also inhale peppermint oil to clear your nasal passages. This is considered as one of the best remedies against sinusitis.
- Increase your consumption of certain foods, such as cod liver oil, eggs, walnuts and other foods that contain omega-3 essential fatty acids. These foods can provide you with natural relief against sinus infection.
- You can also do a hot and cold compress to relieve congestion.
- Opt for lots of herbal teas and hot soups to treat sinus infection.
- Water with apple cider vinegar can help thin the mucus in your nasal passages, make sure to consume a mixture of these ingredients at least 3 times a day for better results.
Aside from sinus pressure symptoms, you may also experience having sinus toothache and headache. Sinus headache may come as a deep and throbbing pain in the region of your forehead and bending down can worsen the pain. This is due to the inflamed and blocked sinuses that prevent mucus from draining. This headache may cause tightness in the face and head making it more painful. To relieve headache, you may steam using a basin of hot water with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Another way to eliminate headache is to apply cold or hot water compress to your head. When using hot water compress, make sure to apply it for 3 minutes followed by cold compress for at least 30 seconds. Sipping ginger tea can also help relieve the pain.
Aside from sinus infection toothache and headache, you may also experience severe congestion. This is because of the blocked mucus within the nasal passages. This mucus can also cause bacterial growth, thus resulting to chronic sinus pain. Another question that’s frequently asked is “are sinus infections contagious?” … and although this is not a possibility, the pain can cause severe discomfort thus it should be treated immediately. Steam is a great way to clear the congestion. Make sure to add eucalyptus oil into your hot water, just like how you would do it when dealing with headache. You also have to make sure that you consume lots of water and opt for foods that are rich in vitamin C. drinking herbal tea can a great chronic sinusitis treatment. However, if you cannot manage the pain anymore, you may consult your physician instead for faster relief from sinusitis.